FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date: June 30, 2017
OC GRIP TO HOST TAEKWONDO SUMMER CAMP IN SANTA ANA
SANTA ANA, Calif. – Orange County Gang Reduction Partnership (OC GRIP) will host a free taekwondo summer camp during the month of July to prevent students from joining gangs.
- Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas
- Orange County Probation Chief Steve Sentman
- Santa Ana Police Department Interim Chief Dave Valentin
- Santa Ana School Police Interim Chief Mark Van Holt
- OC GRIP community partner Taekwondojang
- Taekwondo summer camp for Santa Ana students
- Grades 5th through 7th grade from participating OC GRIP schools
July 3, 2017 through July 21, 2017
8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
July 21, 2017
- Monte Vista Elementary School located at: 2016 W. Monte Vista, Santa Ana, CA 92704.
The OC GRIP Taekwondo Summer Camp will focus on discipline, leadership, teamwork, and respect. It was designed to positively engage students during the summer months and encourage them to choose healthy extracurricular activities instead of joining a gang. This is the first year the camp will expand to Santa Ana. Over 20 students from participating Santa Ana OC GRIP schools will have the opportunity to earn a yellow-belt at the conclusion of camp. Additionally, students will continue to be personally mentored and supported throughout the upcoming school year.
Master Sergio Cardenas, owner of Taekwondojang in San Juan Capistrano, has hosted the OC GRIP Taekwondo Summer Camp for the past four years with over 160 students participating from the cities of San Juan Capistrano and San Clemente. A 1999 World Medalist, Master Cardenas is a 6th degree black belt certified by the World Taekwondo Headquarters in South Korea with 32 years of experience in Martial Arts.