FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 17CF0616
Date: August 11, 2017
HOMELESS THIRD STRIKER SENTENCED TO 21 YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR ROBBING AND ASSAULTING SANTA ANA BUSINESS OWNER
*Police used “Find My iPhone” to locate defendant in a tent behind Orange County Superior Courthouse
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A homeless third striker was sentenced today to 21 years to life in state prison for robbing and assaulting a Santa Ana business owner.
Fernando Zazueta Gonzalez, 61, Santa Ana
- Second degree robbery
- Kidnapping to commit robbery
- Assault with deadly weapon other than firearm
- Attempted criminal threats with intent to terrorize
- (2) Personally using deadly weapon
In Orange County:
- Burglary in 1983 and 1992
- Robbery in 1979, 1986, and 1989
21 years to life in state prison
Circumstances of the Case
- On March 9, 2017, at approximately 8:30 p.m., Gonzalez entered a beauty supply business on West 3rd Street in the city of Santa Ana.
- The defendant brandished a black pellet gun which appeared to be a real handgun, pistol-whipped the owner of the store, and dragged the victim into a small back room.
- Gonzalez restrained the victim and demanded money while holding the pellet gun against the victim’s head, threatening to kill her.
- The defendant then stole the victim’s iPhone from the front counter and fled.
- Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) officers responded to the scene, located the victim, and were able to use the “Find My iPhone” application to trace the victim’s phone to a tent located in the Plaza of the Flags near the Orange County Superior Courthouse.
- SAPD officers located the victim’s iPhone near the defendant’s tent, and arrested Gonzalez.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Shiba Etemadian, Felony Panel.