FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 8, 2017
Case # 16CF1494
MAN SENTENCED TO 23 YEARS TO LIFE IN PRISON FOR TRAFFICKING, PIMPING, AND PANDERING 13-YEAR-OLD GIRL IN ORANGE COUNTY
*Victim in this case is the youngest filed victim since the HEAT Unit’s establishment in 2013
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced today to 23 years to life in state prison today for human trafficking, pimping, and pandering a 13-year-old girl in Orange County.
John Wayne Calhoun, 31, San Bernardino
Found guilty by a jury on Aug. 14, 2017, of the following felony counts:
- (2) Lewd acts upon a child under 14
- Human trafficking of a minor
- Pimping a minor
- Pandering with a minor under 16 years old by procuring
- Oral copulation of a child under 14
- Unlawful sexual intercourse
- Human trafficking by force or fear
- Prior 2012 felony conviction for inflicting corporal injury upon a spouse or cohabitant in San Bernardino County
23 years to life in state prison
Mandatory lifetime sex offender registration
Circumstances of the Case
- Calhounis a human trafficker/pimp who exploits children for financial gain. The victims are often required to turn over all payment they receive for sex acts from sex purchasers to their pimp. Failure to follow these rules can result in deprivation of food and/or physical and/or emotional abuse.
- Prior to June 1, 2016, the defendant met 13-year-old Jane Doe and convinced the victim to engage in commercial sex acts for his benefit.
- Calhoun forced the victim to give him money that she received from sex purchasers.
- Calhoun supervised Jane Doe as she engaged in commercial sex and instructed the victim to engage in specific sex acts to receive more money from sex purchasers.
- The defendant drove the victim to areas known for prostitution and human trafficking in Orange County and other parts of California.
- At approximately 3:00 a.m. on June 2, 2016, Jane Doe was contacted by Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) in an area known for prostitution in Santa Ana.
- When Jane Doe was found, she had a black eye, multiple bruises, and a scar on her arm, all caused by Calhoun.
- SAPD subsequently located the defendant with Jane Doe’s assistance and arrested him.
- During the investigation, SAPD discovered evidence that Calhoun instructed Jane Doe on who she could talk to, when to work, how much to charge, and what sex acts to engage in.
At the sentencing today, several members of the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force (OCHTTF) were present in court to support the victim, as well as organizations such as Bikers Against Child Abuse and local law enforcement partners.
OCHTTF and the Orange County District Attorney’s (OCDA) Office work proactively to protect women and minors from falling victim to commercial sexual exploitation. This case was investigated by SAPD and the OCHTTF, a partnership between the Anaheim Police Department, California Highway Patrol, Costa Mesa Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Irvine Police Department, Newport Beach Police Department, OCDA, Orange County Sheriff’s Department, SAPD, and community and non-profit partners.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Juliet Oliver of the HEAT Unit prosecuted this case.
Proposition 35 and HEAT
To read more about California’s anti-human trafficking Proposition 35 and the OCDA’s Human Exploitation and Trafficking (HEAT) Unit, please visit www.orangecountyda.org and select Human Trafficking Information from the Media Center drop down menu.