Case # 17WF1682
Date: June 8, 2018
MAN SENTENCED TO 10 YEARS IN PRISON FOR KILLING 19-YEAR-OLD GERMAN TOURIST WHILE DRIVING HIGH ON METHAMPHETAMINE
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was sentenced today to 10 years in prison for vehicular manslaughter after killing a 19-year-old German tourist while driving high on methamphetamine in Seal Beach.
Matthew Ryan Wood, 25, Seal Beach
Pleaded guilty on Sept. 15, 2017, to the following felony counts:
- Gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated
- Sale / transportation of a controlled substance
- Possession of a controlled substance with firearm
10 years in state prison
Circumstances of the Case
- On Dec. 9, 2016, at approximately 2:00 p.m., the defendant drove eastbound on Westminster Avenue in the city of Seal Beach.
- Wood swerved over the center median into the westbound lanes of Westminster Avenue and collided head-on with a Kia Sedona.
- The driver of the Sedona, 19-year-old German tourist Lisa Schelborn, was pronounced dead at the scene.
- The defendant was transported to UC Irvine Medical Center in critical condition.
- At the time of the collision, Wood was driving under the influence of methamphetamine, attempting to transport methamphetamine for sale, and was in possession of a firearm while carrying a controlled substance.
- Seal Beach Police Department investigated this case and arrested the defendant on Aug. 9, 2017.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Dan Feldman, Homicide Unit.