FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18HF1269
Date: September 6, 2018
WOMAN CHARGED AS ACCESSORY TO THE STABBING MURDER OF PATRON DURING BAR FIGHT
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A woman was charged as an accessory after the fact to the stabbing murder of a patron during a bar fight in Laguna Niguel.
Elizabeth Anne Thornburg, 38, Mission Viejo
Charged on Sept. 5, 2018 with the following felony count:
Three years in state prison
Oct. 12, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department H-7, Harbor Justice Center, Newport Beach
Circumstances of the Case
- On Sept. 7, 2015, Thornburg and Craig Tanber are accused of being at Patsy’s Irish Pub in Laguna Niguel.
- After 12:00 a.m., the defendant is accused of exchanging words with 22-year-old Shayan Mazroei and spitting on the victim.
- At approximately 12:15 a.m. on Sept. 8, 2015, Craig Tanber is accused of exiting the pub after learning of this exchange and getting into a verbal argument with the victim near the exit of the bar.
- During the course of the argument, Tanber is accused of stabbing the victim multiple times in the upper portion of his torso.
- Tanber is accused of fleeing from the scene.
- Thornburg is accused of being in the area immediately after the stabbing. Thornburg is further accused of fleeing from the scene after being confronted by the bouncer of the pub.
- Thornburg is accused of picking up Tanber around the corner from the pub and dropping him off at a residence in Mission Viejo.
- Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) investigated this case.
- Craig Tanber, case # 16ZF0001, is charged with one felony count murder with sentencing enhancements for the personal use of a knife and prior strike convictions for voluntary manslaughter, dissuading a witness by force, street terrorism, and assault with a deadly weapon in 2007, residential burglary in 2001, and serving a prison term for one year or more and not remaining free for more than five years. He is scheduled for jury trial on Jan. 8, 2019.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Mark Birney, Homicide Unit