FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18NF2637
Date: September 21, 2018
MAN CHARGED WITH TRANSPORTATION AND POSSESSION OF DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES IN BREA
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A man was charged yesterday with the transportation and possession of destructive devices in Brea.
Saleh Ali, 47, Salinas
Charged on Sept. 20, 2018, with the following felony counts:
- Sale and transportation of a destructive device
- (2) Possession of a destructive device
- Intent to unlawfully make destructive device
10 years in state prison
Sept. 28, 2018, 8:30 a.m.
Department N-3, North Justice Center, Fullerton
Circumstances of the Case
- On Sept. 18, 2018, a Brea Police Department (BPD) officer conducted a traffic stop on Ali’s vehicle for expired registration tags.
- Ali is accused of having a suspended driver license and BPD conducted an inventory search prior to the vehicle being towed.
- During the inventory search, the defendant is accused of possessing two small destructive devices which were containers covered in shrapnel and contained explosive material in his vehicle.
- BPD contacted the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD) Bomb Squad to examine the two devices.
- Ali is accused of possessing Improvised Explosive Devices (IED’s) or bombs, also referred to as destructive devices that would readily explode when introduced to a flame.
- Ali was arrested at the scene.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Susan Laird, Special Prosecutions Unit