FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 18HF1307
DATE December 4, 2018
FORMER TREASURER SENTENCED TO COURT OFFER OF SIX MONTHS IN JAIL FOR EMBEZZLING MORE THAN $87,500 FROM RANCHO SANTA MARGARITA YOUTH SPORTS LEAGUE
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A former treasurer was sentenced today to a court offer of six months in Orange County Jail for embezzling more than $87,500 from a Rancho Santa Margarita youth sports league.
|Joshua Paul Nowack, 43, Trabuco Canyon||Pleaded guilty on Dec. 4, 2018 to the following felony counts:
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crime, Nowack was the treasurer of the Tijeras Creek Little League in Rancho Santa Margarita.
- Between January 2014 and September 2017, the defendant embezzled more than $87,500 from the youth sports league by transferring funds from the league to personal bank accounts.
- In October 2017, Nowack’s successor reviewed the League’s financial records and noticed suspicious withdrawals and deposits.
- The embezzlement was reported to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department (OCSD), who investigated this case.
- Nowack was arrested by OCSD on Sept. 13, 2018.
- As of Dec. 4, 2018, the defendant has paid $58,168.10 of the ordered restitution.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Nicholas Miller, Major Fraud Unit