Case # 13CF1025
Date: March 23, 2018
HITMAN TO FACE TRIAL FOR 2004 SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES MURDER OF WOMAN WHOSE KILLING WAS SOLICITED BY ESTRANGED HUSBAND
*Husband of victim sentenced to life in prison without parole in 2014
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A hitman is scheduled to face trial on Monday for the 2004 special circumstances murder of a woman whose killing was solicited by her estranged husband.
Anthony Edward Bridget, 44
Charged on April 2, 2013, with the following felony counts:
Life in state prison without the possibility of parole
Jury trial opening statements
March 26, 2018, 10:00 a.m.
Department C-30, Central Justice Center, Santa Ana
Co-conspirator Magdi Faiz Girgis, 65, Westminster, was found guilty by a jury April 17, 2014, of one felony count of special circumstances murder, one felony count of conspiracy to commit murder, and sentencing enhancements for murder for financial gain and murder to prevent testimony were found true. He was sentenced to life in state prison without the possibility of parole on June 27, 2014.
Circumstances of the Case
- Prior to the murder, Magdi Girgis had a pending domestic violence case against him related to assaulting his wife, 55-year-old Ariet Girgis. A restraining order was issued, Ariet Girgis intended to divorce the defendant, and Magdi Girgis moved out of the couple’s Westminster home.
- Magdi Girgis, then a respiratory therapist, planned to murder the victim because he wanted to avoid the cost of a divorce and did not want to lose his medical license by receiving a felony conviction.
- As a result, Magdi Girgis solicited at least one person to murder his wife.
- In August 2004, Ariet Girgis testified in a preliminary hearing in the domestic violence case.
- In the early morning hours of Sept. 29, 2004, Bridget one other suspect are accused of entering Ariet Girgis’ home on Plum Street.
- Ariet Girgis and her 17-year-old son Ryan were the only family members in the home.
- Bridget is accused of binding and gagging Ryan and forcing him into a closet.
- At least one suspect is accused of murdering Ariet Girgis in her bedroom using a sharp object.
- Bridget and the suspect are then accused of fleeing the scene.
- After several minutes, Ryan heard a car drive away from the house, broke free of his ties, and immediately reported the crime to Westminster Police Department (WPD).
- Officers responded to the 911 call and discovered Ariet Girgis had been murdered.
- Magdi Girgis was convicted in the domestic violence case after the murder of Ariet Girgis (Case #04WF0321).
- Following a cold-case investigation, WPD detectives arrested Magdi Girgis on Feb. 1, 2013.
- Anthony Bridget was charged shortly after in April 2013 and transported to Orange County Jail form Soledad State Prison.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Whitney Bokosky, Homicide Unit