|For Immediate Release
Case # 08WF1317
December 5, 2008
|Susan Kang Schroeder
Public Affairs Counsel
KARATE INSTRUCTOR CONVICTED OFMOLESTING SEVEN YOUNG BOYS IN HIS KARATE STUDIO
WESTMINSTER – A former karate instructor pleaded guilty today to molesting seven male students in his studio office. Patrick Shawn Magnan, 51, Westminster, pleaded guilty to 12 felony counts of lewd acts on a child under 14 and sentencing enhancement allegations for lewd acts on multiple children and substantial sexual conduct with a child. He had a prior felony conviction for a 1989 second degree attempted criminal sexual conduct upon a child under 13, in Michigan. He is expected to be sentenced to 110 years to life in state prison at his sentencing on Friday, December 12, 2008, at 2:00 p.m., in Department W-14, West Justice Center, Westminster. The defendant and some victims are expected to make statements at the sentencing.
Between 1999 and November 2005, Magnan owned a karate studio at 16521 Magnolia Avenue in Westminster. He closed the studio in late 2005 or early 2006. While working as a karate instructor at his studio, Magnan molested seven male victims, ages 10 to 14 years old, when he was alone with them while they were students at his karate school. He primarily sexually assaulted the victims in his office. The defendant also molested some of the victims in the karate ring. The lewd acts included masturbation, groping, and kissing.
In July 2008, a male victim disclosed to a counselor that he had been molested by Magnan in 2005, prior to the closure of the studio. The Westminster Police Department (WPD) began an investigation and identified five additional victims. The victims said that they tried to avoid Magnan’s office for fear that he would molest them. The victims also said that they did not initially come forward because they were ashamed about the sexual assault and were afraid of Magnan because he would talk about how strong he was and his ability to break a person’s neck during karate practice.
The defendant was arrested Saturday, Aug. 2, 2008, by WPD. The Orange County District Attorney’s Office charged Magnan for the six victims, and on Aug. 4, 2008, issued a press release asking for the public’s help in bringing forward additional information or victims. As a result of the extensive media coverage, new evidence in the case was discovered and a seventh male victim was identified. Magnan was charged with molesting John Doe #7 in September 2008.
Deputy District Attorney Nicole Nicholson of the Sexual Assault Unit is prosecuting this case.