Case # 18HF0720
Date: May 18, 2018
LAW ENFORCEMENT SEEKING POTENTIAL ADDITIONAL VICTIMS OF MUSIC TEACHER CHARGED WITH SEXUALLY ASSAULTING VIOLIN STUDENT UNDER 11 YEARS OLD IN IRVINE
SANTA ANA, Calif. – Law enforcement is seeking potential additional victims of a music teacher who was charged and is scheduled to be arraigned today for sexually assaulting a violin student under 11 years old in Irvine.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Peter Daesul Kwon, 32, Irvine||Charged today with the following felony counts:
|27 years to life in state prison||Arraignment
May 18, 2018, time to be determined
Department CJ-1, Central Jail, Santa Ana
Circumstances of the Case
- At the time of the crimes, Kwon taught violin lessons out of his home in Irvine and had access to children.
- Between 2005 and 2007, Kwon is accused of sexually assaulting his student, minor Jane Doe, while she was alone with the defendant during violin lessons. The victim was under age 11.
- Jane Doe reported the crime in April 2018 to the Irvine Police Department (IPD), who investigated this case.
- IPD arrested the defendant on May 16, 2018.
- Kwon currently teaches violin out of his home under the business name Peter Kwon’s String Studio, at Vienna Music Institute in Irvine, and Orange County School of the Arts in Santa Ana.
Law enforcement believe there may be additional victims and are asking anyone with information regarding the crime to contact Irvine Police Department Detective Jason Renshaw at 949-724-7244 or Orange County District Attorney’s Office Supervising Investigator Eric Wiseman at 714-347-8794.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Heidi Garrel, Sexual Assault Unit