For Immediate Release
August 31, 2006
Contact: Susan Schroeder
Public Affairs Counsel
(714) 347-8408 Office
(714) 323-4486 Cell



SANTA ANA – A man on the run since 1977 will finally face sentencing tomorrow for molesting three girls in his Costa Mesa motor home.  George England, 61, was convicted of four counts of child molestation 28 years ago, but fled the state after his conviction and prior to sentencing when the judge allowed him time to settle his affairs.  England is scheduled to be sentenced tomorrow, September 1, 2006, at 9:00 a.m. in Department C-5, Central Justice Center, in Santa Ana.  He faces a maximum of four life terms in prison under the eligible penalty based on the laws in 1977. 


England served in the US Army from 1963 to 1966, during which time his tour of duty took him to Korea.  After his discharge from the Army, he worked in Vietnam as a civilian contractor.  In 1972, England returned to the United States from Vietnam, bringing with him a young 5-year-old girl, Jane Doe #1, who he falsely claimed to have adopted.  Jane Doe #1 was actually purchased from her Vietnamese mother for money.


In 1977, England used then 10-year-old Jane Doe #1 to lure her playmates, 10-year-old Jane Doe #2, 8-year-old Jane Doe #3, and 10-year-old Jane Doe #4, to his motor home in Costa Mesa.  The girls would have sleepovers, and on three different occasions England sexually molested the little girls.  On October 21, 1977, England was convicted of four counts of child molestation for three victims, Jane Doe #2, Jane Doe #3, and Jane Doe #4.  He was never convicted for molesting Jane Doe #1, as his sexually violent abuse of her was not reported at the time.    

After his conviction, England convinced the judge to let him out on bail to settle his affairs prior to sentencing.  He then took Jane Doe #1 from protective custody and fled the state, eventually taking residence in Florida.  He assumed the identity of “Stephen Arthur Seagoe,” a deceased 11-month-old boy who was born the year after England.  England used this alias in order to obtain a social security number, a Florida driver’s license, and two United States passports. 

For the next 27 years, England lived in Florida and is accused of molesting Jane Doe #1 hundreds of times.  He is accused of committing outrageous, offensive sexual crimes until she was 16 years old.  At the age of 21, Jane Doe #1 married and moved out of England’s home.  They have not been in contact since 1995.


In April 2005, the Orange County District Attorney’s office was contacted by the FBI with information about England’s alias and amended the arrest warrant to include the name Stephen Arthur Seagoe. In May 2005, the U.S. Department of Diplomatic Security arrested England in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on two counts of passport fraud.  England pled guilty and served 14 months in federal custody.  He was transported to Orange County in June 2006 after serving his federal sentence and booked into Orange County jail to finally face sentencing for the 1977 molestation case.


The People will ask the court to consider multiple factors in sentencing England.  In addition to the conviction for molesting Jane Does #2, #3, and #4, England is accused of the continuous abuse of Jane Doe #1 for 11 years and victimizing and grooming well over a dozen other girls. Many of the incidents went unreported to authorities.  England is accused of molesting one unreported 10-year-old victim more than 50 times over the course of three months, as well as taking nude photos of her.  He is accused of similar molest of a 6-year-old victim.        

At the time of his arrest in 2005, England is accused of possessing over 60 graphic, sickening child pornographic movies on his computer.  The People will also argue that England has shown a total lack of remorse for his crimes.         


Under the laws of 1977, England faces one year to life in prison for each of his four sexual crimes.  If he were convicted today, he would face 60 years to life in prison based on the One Strike law for allegations of multiple sexual assault victims.

“The People are asking for the maximum sentence of four life terms to reflect the gravity of such crimes,” said District Attorney Tony Rackauckas.  “We are finally going to bring some closure and justice for these victims who had to wait almost 30 years.”

Deputy District Attorney Lynda Fernandez of the Sexual Assault Unit is prosecuting this case.  Anyone who has been victimized by England or who has additional information about this case is encouraged to contact Supervising Investigator Clint McCall at (714) 347-8814.