FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 23, 2018
Case # 15NF1723, 16NF2078
MAN SENTENCED TO 12 YEARS FOR TRAFFICKING 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL IN ORANGE COUNTY WHILE BEING OUT ON BAIL FOR PANDERING AND ATTEMPED PIMPING OF TWO 20-YEAR-OLD WOMEN
SANTA ANA – A man was sentenced yesterday to 12 years for trafficking, pimping, and pandering a 15-year-old girl in Orange County after being out on bail for pandering and attempting to pimp two 20-year-old women.
|Dameon Depree Jefferson, 41, Portland, OR
|Found guilty on July 25, 2018 of the following felony counts:
|12 years in state prison
Mandatory 290 registration
Jefferson is a human trafficker/pimp who exploits women and/or children for financial gain. Pimps often establish rigid rules that their victims are expected to follow including requiring victims to speak only when spoken to, address the pimp as “Sir” or “Daddy,” assigning seats in the car based on “rank,” and setting daily quotas that the victims are expected to fulfill. The victims are required to turn over all payment they receive for sex acts from sex purchasers to their pimp. Failure to follow these rules can result in deprivation of food and/or physical and/or emotional abuse.
Circumstances of the Case
- Between June 15, 2015 and June 22, 2015, Jefferson pandered Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2, pimped Jane Doe 1, and attempted to pimp Jane Doe 2.
- On June 22, 2015 Anaheim Police Department (APD) located Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2 in an area of Orange County known for prostitution.
- APD contacted the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force (OCHTTF) who arrived and conducted surveillance.
- Jefferson dropped off both Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2 in this area to solicit commercial sex.
- OCHTTF found the defendant to be in possession of items belonging to the two victims.
- On or about July 21, 2016 Jefferson trafficked, pimped, and pandered of 15-year-old Jane Doe 3.
- At the time of the crime against Jane Doe 3, Jefferson was out of custody after posting $50,000 bail in the case involving Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2.
- OCHTTF responded to information about a missing juvenile, who they believed to be Jane Doe 3.
- An OCHTTF investigator set up a “date” with Jane Doe 3, who was later confirmed to be the missing juvenile.
- After conducting surveillance at a nearby motel, OCHTTF found Jane Doe 3 walking to a vehicle with Jefferson.
- The defendant drove Jane Doe 3 to another motel where the “date” had been arranged.
- OCHTTF officers contacted Jane Doe 3 upon entry into the room and later arrested the defendant.
- While in Orange County, investigators learned that Jefferson posted advertisements online on a well-known prostitution website soliciting Jane Doe 3 for sex and rented rooms in multiple hotels for the purpose of having Jane Doe engage in commercial sex acts for his financial benefit.
Members of the Orange County Human Trafficking Task Force (OCHTTF) and the Orange County District Attorney’s (OCDA) Office work proactively to protect women and minors from falling victim to commercial sexual exploitation. This case was investigated by OCHTTF, a partnership between the Anaheim Police Department, California Highway Patrol, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Newport Beach Police Department, Costa Mesa Police Department, Irvine Police Department, Santa Ana Police Department, OCDA, and community and non-profit partners.
Deputy District Attorney Juliet Oliver of the HEAT Unit is prosecuting this case.
Proposition 35 and HEAT
To read more about California’s anti-human trafficking Proposition 35 (Prop 35) and the OCDA’s Human Exploitation and Trafficking (HEAT) Unit, please visit www.orangecountyda.org and select Human Trafficking Information from the Media Center drop down menu.