FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 15CF0503
Date: July 20, 2018
TEXAS MAN SENTENCED TO 15 YEARS TO LIFE IN STATE PRISON FOR BREAKING INTO HOME OF 8-YEAR-OLD GIRL AND SEXUALLY ASSAULTING HER WHILE SHE WAS ASLEEP IN HER BED
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A Texas man was sentenced to 15 years to life in state prison today for breaking into the home of an 8-year-old girl and sexually assaulting her while the victim was asleep in her bed.
|Dustin Lee Morgan, 36, Texarkana, Texas||Found guilty by a jury on June 25, 2018, of one felony count each of:
||15 years to life in state prison
Mandatory sex offender registration pursuant to PC 290
Circumstances of the Case
- At approximately 5:00 a.m. on Feb. 8, 2008, Morgan broke into the Santa Ana home of 8-year-old Jane Doe.
- The defendant walked into Jane Doe’s bedroom while she was sleeping, pushed the victim’s face down after she woke up, and covered Jane Doe’s mouth to prevent her from making any noise while he sexually assaulted her.
- Morgan then fled the residence through a sliding glass door from the victim’s bedroom after Jane Doe was able to scream for help.
- Jane Doe’s family members contacted the Santa Ana Police Department (SAPD) that night and SAPD began investigating this case.
- In February 2015, SAPD’s Family Crimes Unit conducted a further DNA analysis of evidence recovered from the 2008 crime scene, and linked Morgan to the crime.
- On March 26, 2015, the defendant was arrested by the United States Marshals Service in Texarkana, Texas.
- On March 31, 2015, Morgan was extradited back to Orange County.
Prosecutor: Deputy District Attorney Courtney Thom, Sexual Assault Unit