FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Case # 17CF1023
Date: April 26, 2017
UBER DRIVER CHARGED FOR RAPE OF FEMALE PASSENGER
SANTA ANA, Calif. – An Uber driver was charged yesterday with raping a female passenger in Santa Ana.
|Defendant||Charges||Maximum Sentence||Court Date|
|Angel Sanchez, 37, Costa Mesa||
Circumstances of the Case
- On March 30, 2017, the victim was at a company gathering in Newport Beach.
- The victim’s colleagues requested an Uber ride for her from the gathering to the victim’s home in Santa Ana.
- At the time of the crime, defendant Angel Sanchez was a driver for Uber and is accused of picking up the victim in a 2016 gray Toyota Sienna.
- Sanchez is accused of driving the victim to a street near her residence in Santa Ana and sexually assaulting the victim in his vehicle while she was under the influence of alcohol.
- The victim ran from the defendant’s vehicle and immediately called 911 reporting that she was attacked.
Santa Ana Police Department investigated this case and arrested Sanchez on April 1, 2017.
Prosecutor: Senior Deputy District Attorney Mena Guirguis, Sexual Assault Unit